to Do in Winchester and the Area
Please also check the following websites for further information:
Winchester is a lovely small city with an historic center. The Old
Town streets are lined with brick sidewalks, beautiful homes, historic
buildings, and different styles of architecture, so just strolling
around is enjoyable in itself. In quaint Old Town you’ll find:
• Many specialty shops, small galleries, a variety of restaurants
(both casual and upscale), outdoor cafes, and nightlife.
Winchester has an excellent variety of local restaurants to fit all
tastes and budgets, and many of our very best are within walking of
the inn. Your hosts are very familiar with the local restaurants and can make recommendations to best suit your needs
Theatre and concerts:
• Winchester Little Theatre
• Shenandoah University concerts
• Wayside Theatre
in nearby Middletown
Historic Interest and Museums in Winchester and nearby:
• Glen Burnie
historic home and garden tours (home of Winchester’s Founder
Delight museum, George Washington’s Office and other historic
buildings see www.winchesterhistory.org.
• Civil war battlefield sites and reenactments
• Belle Grove Plantation
• Historic Long
• Patsy Cline Museum, within walking of the Inn. www.patsyclinemuseum.com
Museum of the Shenandoah Valley
Annual Events :
• Apple Blossom Festival
• Historic garden tours in April
• (Nearby) Mountain
Heritage Arts and Crafts Festival (25 minutes away) every June
• Apple Harvest Festival each September
Air Balloon and Wine Festival in October
• First Night each New Year’s Eve
Old Town has unique shops and small galleries selling gifts, pottery,
books, original art and framed prints, furniture, antiques, gourmet
items, wine and specialty beer, home décor, fine linens, candles,
jewelry, clothing and more. Winchester also has an upscale shopping complex called Creekside Village, and numerous chain stores as well.
Winchester has several antique shops that carry a wide range of quality
antiques, used furniture, and flea market items. In addition this
is good base for area antiquing. Just 20 miles south, Strasburg is the antique capital of the area, with a large emporium and several individual shops.
Outdoor and sports in Winchester and the area:
• 5 public golf courses, miniature golf a few miles north of
town. Rock Harbor is the closest to the Inn.
• Hiking nearby (15 minutes to Sky Meadows State Park, 30 minutes
to the start of the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge hiking)
• Hot Air Balloon rides with Blue Ridge Hot Air Balloons
• Fishing in the Shenandoah River
Winchester is a good base to visit many wineries and to take scenic drives. A map of Virginia wineries is available, or go to www.virginiawines.org to plan your trip.